Automatic ON/OFF toggle for WLAN/GPS/etc on Software Access

• Antworten:3
  • Bentwortet
Daniel S.
  • Forum-Beiträge: 3

08.05.2010, 12:22:04 via Website

hi community,

i am searching for an App that would automaticly enable my WLAN or GPS whenever i start a software that needs it...
especially routinely for synchronizing processes.
and afterwards automatically shutting it down again!
if i leave GPS and WLAN on all day i can't walk away from a power plug
that just sucks...

please notice i already searched through multiple forums and:
- i am not interested in any manually switching shortcut/widget for GPS/WLAN (as when software requires it, it can not turn it back on)!
- i am not interested in any location based setup selection of WLAN/G3 (as it requires 24/7 GPS)!

thanks for your support!

Antworten
Gelöschter Account
  • Forum-Beiträge: 602

08.05.2010, 12:28:38 via Website

Daniel Schwanzar
if i leave GPS and WLAN on all day i can't walk away from a power plug
that just sucks...
This is incorrect for GPS. If you have GPS enabled in the settings, it means that GPS is available for the system/apps. It won't be enabled until an app needs it (e.g. Maps). GPS only drains your battery if it is really in use, which can be seen in the notification bar (blinking icon = searching for satellites; normal icon = connected to satellties).

Daniel Schwanzar
- i am not interested in any location based setup selection of WLAN/G3 (as it requires 24/7 GPS)!
There are apps that use the Cell Tower ID for defining your current location - no GPS required. Check out Y5 - Battery Saver for example.

Gelöschter Account

Antworten
Gelöschter Account
  • Forum-Beiträge: 5.136

08.05.2010, 12:42:37 via Website

You won't find any software that will enable WLAN because it will need it ....

The only thing a software would request is "Internet access" which is in general availiable either by GPRS/EDGE/3G or WLAN. Which connection provider you like to use, depends on YOU,not the software.

On the other hand, it would basically be possible to write apps that are able to enable WLAN if they need Internet access, but the software could not determine if there is a WLAN availiable without having WLAN enabled before... so what should happen if there is no WLAN .. it will just drain your battery.

So as Daniel already mentioned, leave the GPS enabled and use the energy Widget provided with Android to turn your WLAN on/off if needed. That will give all you want.

— geändert am 08.05.2010, 12:44:07

lg Voss

Gelöschter Account

Antworten
Daniel S.
  • Forum-Beiträge: 3

08.05.2010, 13:07:43 via Website

thanks for your quick response.
i have my htc desire since one week :)
it's just that you have to charge every other day :(
my old multimedia phone handled a week pretty easy
anyway - thanks for the advice on GPS - i did not know that :)
i will configure WLAN with "Setting Profiles" - that should do
all the best
daniel

Antworten